Wednesday 6 June 2012

A REAL insight..

I'm going to admit it.. my previous posts have been, well, lets say, very 'cliché', very typical 'beauty blog', and although it may have gone un-noticed, my title clearly mentions that this is also a Lifestyle blog. So lets talk 'Lifestyle'.

I'm extremely lucky with the life I have, in fact, some may say that my 'lifestyle' reflects a very spoilt teenagers life, but what people fail to understand is that this is clearly just not the case. I enjoy delving into this 'Private School Cliché' because although I may be privileged enough to attend one, I'm far from your typical 'Private School Girl'. The main thing that interests me is this idea that we are these snobby, lazy, terrible human beings who do not understand the concept of living in a 2 bedroom house with a shared bathroom. It humours us 'Private School Girls' because in fact, many people fail to recognise that the people at our school are just as mixed and varied as those at any State or Grammar School. Does it surprise you that I've met people who attend Private Schools who live of benefits in a council flat? I thought so. Say hello to Grandad's bank.

Do not get me wrong, of course there are girls who appear to be your typical 'Private School Girl' and can relate to all of @PSConcerns tweets, (if you haven't already, take a look, even if you attend a Private School, they're hilarious.) But you will find those type of people at your local State School, it's luck of the draw, whether your 'Daddy' recieves £100,000+ a year or not, and whether he decides to put you into Private Education. Realistically, those people will have 3 cars, and an indoor swimming pool, and probably a french waiter called Pierre, but are they really all terrible human beings?

It upsets me that being the only Private School in the area, the girls who attend RMS are discriminated against outside of the school gates. It was one thing having local State School pupils asking you for more 'photos' in an extremely rude manor at the local train station, but when it gets to the point of travelling up the country and people knowing your school for its 'terrible' reputation, it makes it very difficult to not be seen as a typical 'Private School Girl'.

What Private Schools have which I'm pretty certain other schools don't have is what I like to call a 'Bubble'. RMS, the School I attend is a prime example of a 'Bubble', a family network, the ability to rely on almost all other RMS girls in times of need. The reputation of RMS is not brilliant, and this isn't down to our academics, it's the party lifestyle us 'RMS Girls' like to lead, and we are crazy, but what's the point in being boring. Nonetheless on leaving RMS, I have never heard of anyone not proud to be an 'RMS Girl'. The typical 'Private School Life' and 'Private School Girl' is just not as apparent at RMS and when people can begin to recognise that in fact us 'Private School Girls' are not stupid human beings living of Daddy's credit card, the better, as we're actually pretty decent people if I may say so myself.




"Once an RMS Girl, ALWAYS an RMS Girl"
Class of 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment